The 2017 Faculty Retreat on March 9 will tell the stories of exemplary UI faculty who have successfully implemented strategies for engaging students in creative ways. This year’s Retreat will feature short videos, teaching simulations, interactive activities, and the opportunity to apply for a small grant.

You must attend the Retreat to be eligible to apply. Twelve $4,000 grants will be awarded for projects that address this year’s theme, “The Power of Engagement: Igniting Students’ Passion for Learning.” Registration and other details about the grants are described here.

I sincerely encourage faculty teaching in iFLEX classrooms to attend the Retreat and apply for a grant. From the conversations I have had this semester I know that many of you are trying to increase engagement, integrate technology, and enhance small group learning activities. And most of you could really use a small grant to fund a graduate student to help build new classroom activities, rework part of your course, or explore a new digital tool or teaching strategy. The project must be implemented between Fall 2017 and Summer 2018.

Remember that the enhancement does not have to be spectacular. In fact, the most powerful results usually come from small changes. Not sure what to do? I can help you think through your project ideas. Contact me directly at arwolf@illinois.edu, or send a request to citllearningspaces The link to the proposal form will be posted March 9, and applications are due by April 3.